Sunday, October 19, 2008

P.J. O'Rourke

Since the focus this week was on humor (and polls), I thought I would look for political articles by some of my favorite authors of humorous stuff. I did the post on Hunter Thompson, so I thought I might look for something by a funny cat from my youth...P.J. O'Rourke. I first read Mr. O'Rourke's work in the National Lampoon magazine of the mid-seventies. After he left the magazine I kinda lost track of him until he emerged, years later, as a Republican. I was confused. I read a few of his articles in Rolling Stone, but it was not the same.

Now I'm ready to forgive him for his heresy. I'll buy one of his books as soon as I can find one in the bookstore. Until then, I'll have to get my fix from what I can find on the Internet. I found this article humorous.

This video clip is a good example of O'Rourke's legendary wit:







The guy asking the questions looks familiar...

I had hoped to find an O'Rourke article on the current campaign but was unsuccessful. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Anne @ AJ&B said...

The only thing even remotely related to the election that I have found written by P.J. is an article called "24 Hours On The Big Stick":
http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/006dgrlw.asp?pg=2

written for The Weekly Standard. P.J. is suffering right now from a highly treatable form of cancer; maybe that's why not much else.

I do believe he has been a regular on Bill Mahr's show.

Anne

p.s. Have another couple of P.J. articles here: http://nowthatyouasked.blogspot.com