Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A New Look at Sarah Palin

I must confess to only a passing knowledge of modern feminism. I believe that the ERA should be passed, that women should be paid as much as men and that traditional gender roles in marriage are based in ignorance and fear. Because I consider myself progressive on feminist issues I was shocked at my own ignorance and shallowness while reading the excellent Camille Paglia article recommended us by Colin.

The following paragraph, in particular, made me feel petty and dim-witted:


It is certainly premature to predict how the Palin saga will go. I may not agree a jot with her about basic principles, but I have immensely enjoyed Palin's boffo performances at her debut and at the Republican convention, where she astonishingly dealt with multiple technical malfunctions without missing a beat. A feminism that cannot admire the bravura under high pressure of the first woman governor of a frontier state isn't worth a warm bucket of spit.


My assessment of Ms. Palin's performance at the Republican National Convention was colored not only by my childish hatred of anything Republican, but also by my inability to consider the woman as a person, just like me, who had found herself in a strange and frightening situation being watched and judged by millions of people. How would I have performed in that situation? I can barely sputter out my opinions and observations in class without nervously pitching face forward onto the table before me. I, who came from a family of five boys and no girls, who knows next to nothing of what it means to grow up in America as a woman, did not even know that it was possible to look past my mindless hatred of Republicans to see a person who has overcome more than I will ever be able to comprehend to stand before the country with confidence and strength and offer herself as a viable candidate for vice president of the United States.

So now I am left to reconsider all my previously held views on the candidacy of Governor Palin. I may still believe her to be misguided in her political beliefs and inexperienced in national affairs, but at least I can now admit that she has a great deal of courage and determination. Sarah Palin is a feminist.

No comments: