Saturday, November 29, 2008

Jindal: A New Republican

Harry's most recent post containing a clip of a brief interview of Governor Jindal on Fox got me thinking that the Republicans would be fools to run anyone else against Barack Obama in 2012. Jindal is smooth, smart and polished. His appearance, demeanor and age make him the perfect "breath of fresh air" the Republicans now so desperately need.

As far as Jindal's presidential campaign's possible exploitation of new technology is concerned, I think they would be wise to follow the model so effectively used by the Obama campaign. The Jindal people would be smart to start working on their strategy now rather than waiting until the primary season of 2011. If I were part of their team I would have young republicans setting up Facebook accounts, MySpace accounts and Twitter accounts now from college campuses in all fifty states. I would have subtle links on these accounts to "new" republican websites and blogs. These sites and blogs would sell a younger and simpler republican message--a message of boiled down conservatism without the criticism of democrats or liberals. In short, try to make the republicans seem like the cool, new political party of change toward simplified, down-to-earth values.

If I were a strategist for the Jindal for President campaign of 2012 I would focus all messages to potential voters on just a few image enhancing aspects of republican beliefs. I would show the farmers, but I would also show the laptop in the barn that the farmer uses to calculate how to use less pesticide in an effort to save money and do less harm to the environment. I would show the conservative banker investing in small businesses in the inner city in an effort to make money for the bank and the community. I would show good, hard working people from every ethnic group going to work with smiles on their faces. And I would show soldiers, so often associated with the republican party, helping poor people in a far off land unload much needed food and medicine.

With the new republicans, "We All Win."

No comments: