Sunday, November 16, 2008

60 Minutes...again

I know that Colin addressed the Barack Obama interview on 60 Minutes tonight, but I thought I would include the link for anyone interested in watching it:


Watch CBS Videos Online

With this week's subject in mind , I wondered why Senator Obama would choose 60 Minutes, (wouldn't the Huffinton Post be more hip and edgy?) as his first interview after winning the most important election in more than a generation.

I watched the interview and came away from it with even more respect and admiration for our next president. I felt at ease, as I think Senator Obama did, with the tone and theme of the questions Steve Kroft asked. I sensed a mutual respect. The two men seemed to be enjoying the event without having the interview lose sight of the serious problems now facing the next president. I didn't feel I had to worry about the interview turning ugly or confrontational. And yet, even without the confrontation, the interview was informative and entertaining. Is there a lesson there for other members of the media?

I believe that most people will eventually tire of clearly partisan and combative news coverage now so prevalent on cable news and the Internet. I know it has gotten old for me. I am not even any longer amused by the partisan rantings of people with whom I agree. I want to hear watch and read good news and bad presented clearly and concisely. And the stories deemed to be "news" should at least be interesting. 60 Minutes is at least interesting.

No comments: