Saturday, September 13, 2008

Hunting

I'm not a hunter. but I'm not totally against hunting either. When I think about hunting I usually think about deer or turkey hunting. I see a man (I don't think most people associate women with hunting though I'm sure there are some women hunters) in camouflage sitting perfectly still in the underbrush waiting for something edible to wander past. On comes a turkey or an adult dear and the man shoots. He has been out in the woods, freezing cold and hungry and now he has shot a wild animal. The animal has been shot clean and died instantly. The man takes the dead beast back to his truck and then to his cabin where he will eventually eat it. Its a nice, clean vision of hunting which assigns to the hunter the same reverence for and respect of the hunted we usually associate with Native American beliefs and customs. The hunter uses the animal to supplement his diet with a free source of meat. The hunter needs to hunt.
When I think of hunting I do not think of hired airplanes or inedible prey.
By now you know that I am referring to Governor Palin's approval of the practice of shooting wolves from airplanes. This is not an allegation or a rumor. Governor Palin encouraged people to shoot wolves from airplanes.
I was not aware that it was legal anywhere outside of Uganda to shoot animals from moving vehicles simply to kill them.
This story should lead every newscast and be on the front page of every newspaper.

3 comments:

Hockanum Monitor said...

Can I get a recipe for deer chili on this blog?

BR said...

Interesting thing about hunting. The global warming that Sarah Palin has no problem with whatsoever has caused climate changes in her dear state of Alaska that have changed the habits of seals; the hunting of which are an important part of Inuit culture (although Palin has little interest in Inuit culture). Anyway, I'll try to find an article about this, but a class I was in a few years ago had one visitor who was a global warming activist and also an Alaskan Inuit and she said that global warming was responsible for difficulties in the yearly hunt which led to increases in alcoholism, drug use, depression, and lots of other bad stuff amongst young Native American men.

So yeah, Palin's a big fan of hunting as long as it's her type of people who get to hunt for fun. She doesn't care if the natives are deprived of their traditions due to ignorance of global warming as a serious issue.

Think she's a hypocrite much? She doesn't care about anything except her own political power, pointless killing of animals for fun (as you talked about), and the demolition of women's rights.

Sarai said...

I am highly disturbed as well to Palin's history of wolf killing. In an article I read in NRDC a couple months back, she said she wanted to actually see the foot of a wolf that someone killed to know it was dead! Why so much hatred and desire to kill such a beautiful and innocent species...for no reason! Wolves are an important part of the ecosystem and biodiversity and she wants to exterminate them!

I agree with you. Why is the media not mentioning this at all? Sure, there are jokes made about it, and cartoons showing her killing caribou, but seriously...her views on our environment and wilderness are disturbing, especially with global warming. The media should be covering ALL aspects of a candidate, and I think this is an important one as well.

By the way-did anyone see the pictures in TIME magazine of her with her 3 year old daughter next to a bloody caribou carcass?? Nice thing for a 3 year old to see